For my little lab project I have been trying to get user authentication using a MySQL database up and running. Here is how I did it, including my configuration files:
Coming soon: a low-cost Juniper lab, hosted in my garage. With many thanks to E-bay, I’ve been able to purchase Juniper gear for a good price and I’m currently working to set everything up. Once finished, there will be a fully functional Juniper lab ready for certification practice. The lab will be interconnected to the Virtual Internet Exchange and able to peer directly on the peering-lan, as well as receive a full BGP table.
Unlike myself, my lovely wife is an Apple fan. She has an Iphone 4S and has had the opportunity to play with an Apple Ipad 3 (which I had at home for work) for a while. She absolutely loved it!
Her birthday was coming up (sep 5) so I knew what to buy. Obviously I tried to keep it a surprise so I told her I would not buy her any electronics this year. This was actually true: I bought an Ipad cover as well as the Ipad 3, and she would then receive the Ipad 3 from our daughter Charlotte while “my” gift would be the Ipad cover. On the back, I had Apple engrave “Happy Birthday Mommy! Love, Charlotte”. On a side-note: great feature! When you buy an Ipad from the Apple Store, you get to have it engraved for free!
After 15 years of using Open Source applications for my mail, I am forced to give it up. I have been a proud user of Pine, Mutt and Mozilla Thunderbird. After joining my current employer, where everything is MS based, I found options to avoid using Microsoft Outlook by using a combination of Mozilla Thunderbird, fetchmail and Lightning with (buggy) Exchange extensions. However, I found that I can no longer use this, primarily because of this:
I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 and installed the Win2-7 theme. This comes with a Windows 7 style grouping of applications on the taskbar. This annoyed me and I tried to ungroup it. Unfortunately, this was not possible.
After a bit of googling, I found this old post. It no longer applies to the current code, so I worked around it using that post. Here is what I did:
I needed a quick multicast streamer, so I tried to install vlc from the ports. Here is the mess that my monitor got filled with:
For a demo I was looking into the possibility of using a Vista MCE Remote controller to navigate a web portal. I found out that the arrow keys are the same as a keyboard arrow key and the “ok” button equals the “enter” key. So, now I needed to find a way to use the arrow keys to navigate.
Using Windows Media Player as the mediaplayer of your choice is tricky at best, if you are trying to access a multicast stream. I have done some research and found that it is very difficult to receive a multicast stream which was not generated by a Windows Media server. So I had to revert to VLC mediaplayer.
I recently installed FreeBSD 8.2 on a compact-flash disk for my home-build CPE project. Previously, I would use a laptop, a CF-adapter and boot a FreeBSD installation CD. For my latest project, I thought of a new way. Using Qemu, it is very easy to install and configure the OS prior to mounting the CF into the device.